Monday 9 March 2009

A revision on the thoughts on pen and ink....

You will recall that I recently expressed delight at receiving a hand written note. Well today I received another one that was slightly less welcome.

I bounded (read - dragged myself wearily) down the stairs this morning to see a piece of paper lying on the doormat. I picked it up and panicked. In a slightly creepy hand was written:

"DRILL, HAMMER, BUZZ-HUM, BUZZ HUM,
THESE 10 MONTHS GONE,
WHEN WITH THE NOISY DIY
WILL YOU BE DONE?
BUT AT 5AM IT IS JUST NOT ON.

(PS YOUR HAMMER DRILL NEEDS IT'S RF CHOKE CHECKING)"

Now, Mr Jones jetted off to Dublin at stupid O'Clock this morning, leaving me with the cats as my sole protectors until he returns this evening. So I obviously started to panic ever so slightly.

Images of the few horror films I've seen (I don't watch them - my imagination is far too overactive) flicked through my head. Girl in house alone, receives odd, creepy note, then the phone calls start and before long she's tied up on a deck chair with her throat slit.

I called my mum, and my dad and neither of them answered (obviously they didn't realise that I was in grave peril - typical!). I left Mr Jones a message to call me as soon as his flight landed and then I sat down for a few deep breaths.

Panic calmed, logic set in. Our neighbour is a recluse and by all accounts slightly strange. We moved into this house in November having spent six months renovating it and haven't done any drilling since - and certainly not at 5am in the morning.

Mr Jones' alarm went off at 5am and he got in the shower. Our shower has a pump on it, which probably, through a wall, sounds like a drill. I turned the paper over - it says:

"I ask you kindly - and in verse"

So I have decided that: the note is not meant to be creepy, that our neighbour is indeed, truly, a little odd, but clearly not confontational and just a touch poetic (bless), that our shower pump needs muffling so as not to disturb our street's answer to Boo Radley, and that I shall write a note in reply (because he won't answer the door). However, I'm not sure my poetic abilities are quite up to scratch, so I'll have to return the favour in prose.

Ho hum - all in a days work. Oh and in terms of the wedding - today I have ordered some very clever napkins and requested quotes from printers for the invitations.

1 comment:

Chris Allsop said...

what a freak show.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin