Monday 2 February 2009

Time for tea....



As you may or may not know, our wedding has a vintage theme. We did think about hiring some lovely vintage china - Mummy and I emailed a few companies, eagerly awaited their replies and then decided that the route to a millionaires lifestyle is clearly through vintage crockery rental.

So now we've become Charity Shop fiends. I have to say Mummy is rather good at it and now has a spare bedroom stacked with cake stands, tea cups and sugar bowls. I am slightly less proficient, but none the less managed to acquire these beauties at the weekend. The lady in the charity shop was rather confused when I took two tea sets to till:

"You want them both?"

"Yes please"

"Really....what on earth for?"

"My wedding"

(Gushing begins) "Oh how lovely, oh how wonderful - Margaret, Margaret, (bellowed a la Little Britain) bring a box, this young lady is buying us out of tea sets for her wedding - oh it's so lovely..."

The other customers all started to scowl as my many plates and cups were wrapped lovingly in paper. Anyone would think I'd done them out of a bargain. I don't know what they were complainging about. The lady in the queue behind me was clearly treating her husband to a pair of second hand trousers with a few suspicious looking marks on them and was in no need of anything to eat cake off of.

I was planning to use my new tea sets at the lovely tea party I held yesterday afternoon - but after battling round Morrisons (please hurry up with the new Waitrose and Sainsburys to spare me this horror) with the rest of the town, I only just had time to make enough cakes - so we had to make do with Emma Bridgewater Spots. Still a jolly time was had by all and I plan to have another girly afternoon once the garden is done and there isn't snow in the air - perhaps at Pimms O'Clock.

XOXO

1 comment:

Sue ~ Granny's World said...

Maybe we should go into the china hire business after your wedding or failing that open that tea shop, I can feel some tea cosy knitting coming on!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin