Monday 10 August 2009

The Kale Wars

In the battle of Mrs Jones-to-Be vs The Cabbage Whites I have had to admit defeat. Despite the help of a highly trained (though less than dedicated) butterfly assasin (Miss Penny) yesterday at 14.00hrs I laid to rest the kale bed.

The veg patch has been somewhat neglected this past week thanks to rain and wedding prepartions, so I was slightly shocked to discover that the once lush, perfectly curled emerald leaves of my kale were looking just a touch lacy and were teaming with hundreds (I exaggerate not) of caterpillas in various sizes - it was quite disgusting.

Unfortunately one of the courgette plants was caught in the cross fire, so that had to go too. But on a lighter not there was some encouraging tomato related news. Cowering beneath the decimated kale were some nice fat, juice red ones, completely caterpilla free - hurrah. I plan to do something inventive with them for my lunch.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin