Monday 27 July 2009

Times they are a-changing

I do love a good tale of the olden days, especially if they come complete with pictures - and this weekend Mr Jones and I were treated to the story of my Nannie and Grandad's wedding.

They got married 55 years ago at the Shire Hall in Cambridge. Grandad wore a double breasted suit and Nannie was dressed in a beautiful grey skirt suit with a velvet collar with a spray of roses on her lepel. After the ceremony they had lunch at Grandad's family home and tea and at Nannie's. No fancy reception for them.

They didn't have a house when they were first married. Instead the rented "rooms" from a woman in Cambridge. They shared her kitchen and loo, but there was no bathroom so they paid a woman down the street to use hers! Mr Jones and I are rather more lucky.

My Grandad is a little bit poorly at the moment, but we're hoping that he'll be well enough to make the wedding and see Mr Jones and I start what I hope will be at least 55 years of a happy marriage.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin