Tuesday 30 June 2009

A wonderful day....

Despite being beyond hot two things have happened today that have really made me smile.

Do you remember a while back I told you of the letter from a Yours reader about her granddaughter the lesbian and the fact that she couldn't bear the thought of attending her wedding - if you need a reminder you can read it here.

Anyway - we printed the letter on our problem page with a reply from our resident wise woman Marion Clarke - this is what she said:

This is a problem that really highlight the generation gap and how much attitudes towards gay relationships have changed in the past 20 years or so. While you and your husband are not comfortable with your granddaughter's sexuality, it's clearly not something that troubles her friends or even her parents.

Before turning down the invitation too hastily, ask yourself what is to be gained by not attending the wedding? Your absence won't alter the fact that your granddaughter is gay or persuade her to change her mind in any way. The only thing you are likely to achieve by boycotting her big day is hurt her feelings - something she (and her parents) might find hard to forgive.

You are lucky to have a granddaughter who feels she can be honest and open with her family.

A wedding should be a joyous occasion that brings together all the different generations to wish the couple well. So go on - buy a nice new hat and be glad that she has found someone to love and who loves her in return.

Today we has a reply from the lady in question - who's name - for the record is Lyn.

Dear Marion

I would just like to say thank you for printing my letter about my granddaughter being a lesbian and getting married. I feel much better now about accepting your advice and her invitation. I love Yours and would never miss a copy.

Thank you again

Lyn.

Now there's something to warm your cockles - I'm glad that somewhere out there some other bride will now have her grandma at her wedding.

Item number two of the things to make my day is that my very good friend Miss Nancy Bostock is going to stop saving lives in Malawi (she's a doctor don't you know) to come home for our wedding. I haven't seen her in months and I'm so excited that she will be there on our big day. Hurrah. Yay, Excited.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin