Thursday 11 June 2009

Mrs-Jones-to-be and an unfortunate incident with an aerobics step....

Picture the scene - it's 6.45pm in the aerobics studio at the gym. We are half way through super perky Bree's excrutiating bums, legs and tums class. The room is filled with a mix of old women in far-too-tight-lycra that makes them look like over stuffed and slightly wrinkled sausages, and lithe, tanned gym bunnies with blonde hair and buns of steal - and of course me and Mrs Silva Medd.

I am at the front - right beside all-American Bree, prancing and dancing and jumping high in an effort to burn off the curry I ate on Sunday night. I'm in the middle of a reverse basic (for those of you who aren't step-aholics this involves turning backwards on the top of your step) when I manage to lose my footing and suddenly see solid wooden floor in close proximity to my face. The gym bunnies gasp and the old lycra bats look on with a mix of distain and gratitude (thanking the Lord that they aren't in my place)

My left knee has twisted rather nastily underneath me and my left saved me from falling on my face and is now black with insta-bruises. I plaster an enormous grin over my face and laugh "I'm fine, really, I'm fine," I say, thinking all the while "F&^k, F%*k, F&^kity, F%*K this really hurts." I insist on finishing the class, despite being in agony - I have a rep to protect after all and would hate to be known as the-girl-who-fell-off-her-step.

However - moments later I stumble again as my injured knee protests to being forced to do hop turns, jumping jacks and reverse anymore. Bree trots over to my step, daintily puts her hand over her mic (she's aware of my rep) "Maybe you shouldn't do anymore reverses, I mean I know you can do them, but you don't want to hurt yourself - so maybe give it a break for today?" I smile and nod and try not to look too embarrassed.

At the end of the class I can hardly make it up the stairs. By this morning I could hardly walk and I had to force Mr Jones out of bed at 5.30am to take me to the train station. I have spent the day eating Ibuprofen in the same way a very overweight and greedy child eats chocolate buttons. I am now relatively pain free - in a chemical way - though my right foot hurts because it's been carrying my entire body weight all day. I am hoping to be truly mended by Saturday for a double marathon of spin and aerobics - otherwise I fear the chicken kebab I had for dinner may sit on my arse for all eternity.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin