Monday 10 May 2010

I packed my hospital bag and in it I put....


I've had all the bits for my hospital bag for ages - but I've been putting off actually packing it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I was hoping that if I was totally unprepared the baby might decide to put in an appearance a tiny bit sooner. But with four weeks to go (please not any longer) and everyone telling me I really should get packed I decided to get on with it.


I'm fascinated by people's hospital bags - Jules Oliver must have had an entire luggage collection for the amount of stuff she took with her, I've tried to pack light - but I will confess that the baby has its very own bag of bits too. And I'm sure I'll be adding to this. In case you're the slightest bit interested so far I have:

Two button front Matalan Nighties (one in a size 22(!) to accommodate the bump and another in a size 14 for post birth comfort)

One pair of Matalan PJs - just in case I have to stay over in hospital for any length of time.

Dettol Wipes - because I'm a clean freak and I'd like a water bath - but I'm not getting in it until I know it's been disinfected.

A mini fan - because it is ridiculously hot in the delivery suite.

Snacks - Marilyn our NCT teacher was all about fruit and jaffa cakes. The midwife at the hospital recommended high sugar sweets for instant energy. So I've gone for Haribo and Fizzy Bootlaces and some amaretti biscuits because I don't like jaffa cakes. I'll probably add some fruit in later. I'm putting Mum in charge of drinks (including the post birth G&T - Bombay with ice and lemon if you please )

Wash bag with essentials - a water spray - for more cooling, toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, nivea, paracetamol and a nail file - just because there's nothing more annoying than a broken nail. Oh and of course some delightfully large maternity pads.

A dressing gown - for moments when only marching the corridoors will do

Four pairs of great big black knickers - they really are HUGE and I thought I'd spare you photographic evidence.

A towel - do they supply them in the hosptial? No one seems to be able to tell me so I'm taking a small one just in case.

Slippers - leftover from a spa day - why ruin a decent pair of slippers when these ones and any hospital yuckiness attached to them can just be binned?

It's just occurred to me that my birth plan includes using the birthing pool so unless I plan to sit there totally starkers I should probably pack something to wear for that too. Oh and some antibacterial hand gel - just because. Oooo and some socks in the very unlikely event that I get cold feet. Oooo and something to wear to come home in. See I knew I'd need a bigger bag. I'm sure I've forgotten other things too.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin